Friday, July 22, 2016

Burgers on the Run Cheeseburger Review


Burgers on the Run is a bit of a unicorn as far as burger places go. It does not appear to have set hours. Essentially, you catch them when you catch them. This is a permanent food truck located outside of the Oakshire Brewing Public House on Madison across the street from The Wandering Goat. I think we have been most successful catching them open at lunchtime on weekdays. For instance, this time, we went at noon on a Thursday.

I would recommend coming with a Plan B for where to eat. Our Plan B is usually The Sandwich League, which is not to say The Sandwich League is inferior in any way. It’s just nearby and really good. Without further qualifications:
Green sauce is the green sauce to the right.
Cheeseburger 21/25
Jerome and I both ordered their Double Burger with cheddar cheese added. They use quarter-pound patties at Burgers on the Run. They also toss on lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, and their own special mayo-based sauce. They were pretty tight-lipped about the secret recipe, but I’m pretty sure it consists of mayo, pepper, garlic, and either green food coloring or basil. Dealer’s choice. The burger was nice and juicy. It could have been seasoned more, and they went a little crazy with the onions, and I could have used more cheese, but overall, it was good.

Fries 19/25
Burgers on the Run serves your standard French fries: straight cut, fried to golden goodness. They clearly added some salt to the fries, but I like more seasoning. Unfortunately, I didn’t see any salt shakers in the vicinity and was hesitant to ask because people kept coming up to order, and I had already asked for a side of green sauce to dip my fries into. Bucky clearly enjoyed the fries, though I did have to stop him from just dipping his hands in the ketchup and putting them in his mouth.
Before he resorted to mainlining the ketchup.
Cost 22/25
The burgers at Burgers on the Run do not come with fries. I was unsure about how much we’d need because of Bucky’s special needs, so I got two large sides of fries. It turns out one would have sufficed. Our total for two Double Burgers with cheese and two large sides of fries was $21.10. There wasn’t really a need to tip since there was little service (such is the nature of food carts).

Ambiance 13/15
There is essentially only outdoor seating at Burgers on the Run. However, they will deliver your burgers to you in the Oakshire Public House. For about the first fifteen minutes we were there, there was a radio blaring commercials. Eventually, the station started playing classic rock. I think a juke box or even a smartphone playing Spotify would have been preferable. Oh well. The saving grace was that some older lady came up to me and told me I was doing a great job raising my boys. I told her, “Buzz off! I don’t need your validation!”

Service 7/10
The food was ready quickly, and they were attentive to my needs, but as is the nature of the food carts, I had to go to the window to order, I had to pick up my food, and I had to bus my table. This is easy for most, but I had to contend with a screaming toddler who just wanted to throw rocks. Also, I don’t like having to wait in line for follow-up items (like salt or green sauce). Such is the life of a whiny guy.
Serious men eating serious burgers.
Jerome’s Review
Burgers on the run… where do I start? The great food? Sure, why not? The food at Burgers on the Run is absolutely exceptional! It's like a slice of heaven in patty form with oozing juices and condiments galore. The burgers are definitely some of the best I've ever had.
The atmosphere there is wonderful with music always playing and the various signs and souvenirs scattered around the place. The whole restaurant is a grounded food truck, and the dining area out front is nice. If you're looking for a nice place with good food, I recommend Burgers on the Run, and I personally give it 4 thumbs up (if I had that many)!

Burgers on the Run’s Overall Score: 82/100
Burgers on the Run is worth checking out if you catch them open, but have a Plan B in place. I recommend the food carts over by Ninkasi and The Board. Enjoy!


Do you want James and Jerome to review your cheeseburgers? We happily accept free food in exchange for an unbiased review. Email us at jamesbrains55@gmail.com if interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment